Monday, March 23, 2009

Class Reflection

I really did not know what to expect for this class when I first signed up. What I really wanted to do was to figure out how to use some of the new web 2.0 tools and how to better integrate them into my curriculum.

There were somethings that I already know about, but there are also things I did not know about/did not try yet. As a teacher, I am short with free time just like everyone, so it's good that I have a set time, during which I have to get my hands dirty and really build something using the tool. That's first step. The next step is to integrate it into my curriculum, which takes more thinking. And honestly, sometimes I don't come up with anything good enough (in the sense that I don't see a high ROI), then I will forgo the tool for a while (such as Gcast.com).

Google Site is a good example. I have done Wiki and blogs, and even websites, but I never tried Google Site. After digging my hands in, I get an idea about what it's capabilities and limitations are. Now I can sit down and compare these tools and decide which one is best for the purpose at the moment. Google site does make certain integration much easier, like Kathleen said, if most of your materials are on Google, then it makes sense to use Google Doc. Otherwise, wiki (pbwiki) is probably easier.

On my Google site, I tried to put in sample assignments using the technology tools we've learned in this class. For example:
  • L5 Activity: I provided a link to VoiceThread for the students. I put a one page with a few prompts for the students, and they are to record a short speech.
  • L16 Activity: I provided a link to Animoto. Students are to write a story based on the slideshow using photos related to the topic (Visit a doctor).
  • Announcement: I can post slideshows of classroom activities to share with parents and students, etc.
  • On each lesson page (see L6), I can post up resources, including my own PowerPoint files, links to online flash activities, and resource links. I can also have students contribute their own sentences so we will have a collection of sentences to learn from.

I like the Google site that I started, but I don't see myself using it. I have invested a lot building PBWIKI sites, so I am going to continue to work on these pbWiki sites. They are still work-in-progress, because I have not finished putting materials on them, so I still have some organization to do, but if you are interested, you can request access to visit these pages:
https://carlmontchinese.pbwiki.com/ - this is what will eventually be a base for my classes. It will have information on classroom management plan, rules and policies, and resources.

The following four are mainly classroom sites. They have collaborative pages (class review sheet with vocab samples, and group skits) and individual pages (for penpal letters). I will also post student presentations online using Google Presentation (as in Chinese 3).
http://0809ap.pbwiki.com -
http://0809chinese1.pbwiki.com
http://0809chinese2.pbwiki.com
http://0809chinese3.pbwiki.com

Anyway, tech tools are endless. Let's keep moving forward...And Big THANK YOU to all.

1 comment:

  1. He Mindy
    Thank you for your entusiasm and awesome participation. I really apprecate your thougthfulness to completing your projects. What I get a sense of is that you have figured out which tools already work for your instruction and like now adding new things to your "digital toolbox"
    ~Kathleen

    ReplyDelete